SAMHSA’s national youth substance use prevention campaign came to Crawford County through the Crawford Partnership to End Substance Misuse. The campaign helps parents, caregivers, educators, and community members to get informed, be prepared and take action to prevent underage drinking and other substance use.
The campaign aims to reduce underage drinking and other substance use among youth by providing information and resources parents and caregivers need to have conversations with their children early and often.
Five conversation goals for talking about alcohol and drugs with teens are:
1. Show you disapprove of underage drinking and other drug misuse.
2. Show you care about your teen’s health, wellness, and success.
3. Show you’re a good source of information about alcohol and other drugs.
4. Show you’re paying attention, and you will discourage risky behaviors.
5. Build your teens’ skills and strategies for avoiding drinking and drug use.
Download the ‘Talk. They Hear You’ App to learn more about starting the conversation with you child.